Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New Things

I am a change and risk-adverse person but, recently, I've emerged from my comfort zone on a few occassions and was kinda proud of myself for making the attempt.

1. Indian Food.  NEVER have liked the stuff.  I can't recall the exact origin of my disdain was but, regardless,  I crossed it off my eligible foods list long ago.  This week: Picked up a couple of nice looking Chicken Tikka Masala meals from Whole Foods and YUM.  Perfect # of PTS for a lunch, filling and SO much tastier than anything else I've brought from home in quite awhile.  We have our anniversary dinner booked for an Italian place on Sat night but maybe we'll go Indian...hmmm.....JKL would be stunned.

2. Pilates PLUS.  Ok, in all honesty, I signed up for this class thinking it was a vanilla reformer class.  Not so much.  There were weights...and lunges...and planks......  I nearly passed out.  HOWEVER, I'm glad I went and checked it out and for those of you who are more in shape than I, you'd probably really like it.  www.bostonpilatesplus.com.

3. Country Music.  YAWN?  No.  Not anymore.  I used to get MAD at my Mames (re: my mom) for driving me around with her country tunes blaring but we recently went on a mini road trip together and..there's a lot of catchy stuff out there....I am not afraid to admit that last week, alone, I downloaded some Gloriana and Lady Antebellum.  I might not workout to it but, when I'm in gridlocked traffic on I-95 North on a Friday night at 6:00, I enjoy a nice ballad.

4. Couple workouts.  I used to openly mock peple I saw running/walking along with Charles with their partner on a Sunday.  I couldn't fathom why that would be enjoyable.  Now, I kind of get it.  The past two weekends, JKL have made walking together in Marblehead the crux of our day and we've loved it.  We get exercise, get to be outside and by the ocean (JKL likes to take a dip in the water after we're done) and spend quality time without having to chat constantly (we're listening to our tunes independently).  Afterwards, we reward ourseleves with a high priced Boar's Head deli sandwich and head home, refreshed and calm.  I think you kind of have to do stuff like this in a marriage (not always, but once in awhile) when you both work a lot and don't see much of each other during the week apart from TV time.  Don't get me wrong, I still sneer at the triathelete couples who sprint past us but, now I do it and am gratified to look over and see JKL giving them the finger.

XXX,

MAY

1 comment: