Monday, August 27, 2012

Products I Love..


Thought I’d share some old loves and new finds.

HAIR: I really don’t have a “go to” shampoo/conditioner but, no matter what, I ALWAYS use a detangler.  It’s a godsend for me because I can get dreadlocks over the course of an 8 hour work day, no, not toiling in the fields but, being sedentary in an office.  Its beyond weird.  Anywho, my latest love is Dove Hair Nourishing Oil Detangler.

FACE: I hate to wash my face.  For the LONGEST time I used a bar of Dove soap in the shower and that was that.  Now that I’m rapidly approaching middle age, a bar of soap doesn’t cut it and moisturizing is VERY necessary.  I have a pretty set regimen.  In the morning I use (this is relatively new) Loreal BB.  Its AMAZING.  It moisturizes, evens out your facial tone and color and protects from the sun.  I use this in lieu of foundation or cover up.  I then top that with a bronzer/blush mix from Physician’s Choice and I’m out the door.  At night, I use Burt’s Bee Facial Cleansing Wipes and Sensitive Skin Moisturizer.  My skin has never been so soft without being oily.   I also want to give a shout out to Aveeno Lightly Tinted Moisturizer.  I used it for a few years but it’s a bit too heavy on the tint and light on the moisture.   A good second choice if I run out of my BB. Next thing I want to try is a Clairsonic.  Its going on my x-mas list.

 

LIPS: Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil.  I was an avid lipstick wearer for years but now this is my go-to.  I MIGHT, on occasion, use a tinted balm  (also by Burt’s) and they’re also nice.

 
NAILS: I get pedis very regularly b/c my heels get really gross within a week or two even though I’m not distance running or really even that mobile.  Its another odd conundrum, much like the dreadlocks.  The only color I ever seem to be truly happy with is Figi by Essie.  When I try out others to be adventurous, it’s a massive fail.  This weekend I did a coral that’s not BAD but, I’m not pleased that I deviated.

 
BODY: I’m not one of those people who jumps out of the shower and slathers with cream.  I do this, maybe, once or twice a week.  When I do, I like Burt’s Bees (my mames does not own this company) Body Butter. The Honey and Shea smells unreal and doesn’t make you to greasy/slippery.  JKL is sensitive to smell and this one gets his seal of approval.
VITAMINS: I take a regular multi-vitamin but I have also started supplementing with a daily dose of B-12.  Holy crap.  I used to sleep more than anyone I know and since I’ve been taking this, I sleep a very normal amount (~7 hours), am not really ever tired and DO NOT DRINK CAFFEINE.  This is huge.  I was never very reliant on coffee in my day but definitely drank a bit too much Diet Coke.  Now-never.  In fact, when I do make the attempt, I feel a little TOO wired.  Only thing that has changed is the addition of B-12.  B-12 also helps with hangovers.  I’ve only drank once in the past several weeks but, when I did, I took my B-12 before bed and was up at 8am going for a power walk. COMPLETE ANOMALY.

TEETH: Colgate Optic White.  I use the toothpaste and now the mouth wash and I really think it’s helping to lighten up my teeth a bit.  Don’t get me wrong, its not as good as whitening strips but I can’t use them b/c they make my teeth ache (weird fact number three of this post) but its definitely more effective than any of the zillion whitening toothpastes I’ve tried.  I hoard mine and never let JKL use it or even be aware of its existence.

 

 EDIBLE ITEMS

 Vanilla Whey Protein: Half a scoop an my appetite is GONE.  Its un-real.  I sometimes put this in a Nalgene with ice cold water, lemon juice and cinnamon (I know, its sounds gross but it really grows on you) and shake it up for a pre-workout “snack” or I add it to a smoothie with almond milk, frozen berries for a low pts but FILLING bfast smoothie.  I like the taste too.

Better Than Peanut Butter: I just found this recently and I’m obsessed.  I love PB but the pts kill me.  This was lurking around in the aisles of my new favorite place (Target/Supermarket combo) and I snatched it right up.  No, it does not taste EXACTLY the same as PB but when you spread it on toast or put it in your smoothie, you can’t tell.  I promise.  Its on 100 cals for TWO tbsps.

 

Emergen-C (Pink Lemonade): This has been a love of mine since back in my Beacon Hill days.  I was so obsessed that Poois once fretted I would develop kidney stones from a Vitamin C buildup.  It tastes SOOOO good and when I have a cold or feel one coming on, I POUND water with it mixed in and I swear it helps.

 

 
Gotta run,

MAY

No comments:

Post a Comment